Monday, December 23, 2013

The Music Biz Post-Apocalypse: Holiday Edition!!!

     In this blog post, I will continue to explore some interesting and talented DIY artists of the post-apocalypse discovered on Soundlcoud and Bandcamp. In celebration of the holiday season, I have chosen 4 artists who make spirit-lifting music with a touch of darkness and quirkiness. I hope you enjoy the music as much as I do. Again, I will refrain from in-depth musical descriptions. As I have previously stated, “Talking about music is like dancing about architecture.” That quote has been attributed to both Steve Martin and Frank Zappa. Who actually said it? Who knows and who really cares, but it rings true to my ears. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, Kwanza, Diwali (which was in November), Winter Solstice, New Year and any other holiday celebration I may have forgotten. Oh and for the Atheists and Witnesses de Jehova: Happy whatever!



1. Fall:

Fall~’s avatar

      Fall, aka Maury van Loon, hails from Plymouth, Britain, and has quite a following on Soundcloud and rightfully so. Her music is equal parts uplifting and dark. Her use of classical-music inspired instrumentation with a modern twist defies genre.




2. Viele Produkte:

Viele Produkte’s avatar


     Viele Produkte, aka Emmy A. from Austin, Texas makes some great technological/intelligent dance music with heart and soul as well as some beautiful ambient music. Check out the holiday mix, over a half hour of slamming, atmospheric electronic music and one of my favorite recent posts by this artist.
3. Man Under Moon:

ManUnderMoon©’s avatar


    Philip Stanford is a self- proclaimed “Bustling, Wine & Ale Swilling, Music Loving, Roman Nosed, Sword-Bearing Producer, Composer & Artist, A Citizen of The World, A Man Under Moon.” His Black Swan e.p. sets the holiday mood for me with the combination of dark wind, bells and piano which eventually explodes into a celebration! The entire e.p. is worth a good listen. Enjoy!
4. Kasper Obscura:

KasperObskura’s avatar


     Mr. Obskura, from Boston, Mass., describes his music as “Unusual sounds for unusual moods. An uncommon ambient electronic composer with a love for bringing the worlds within out.” I will not argue with that and I will also add that this music has a quirky uplifting sense to it which makes it perfect for my holiday music discovery list. Listen to his 2 Bandcamp releases, “7713” and “Kasper Obskura.” You will thank me for turning you on…

No comments:

Post a Comment